Saturday, July 18, 2026

Fictional Tarot Reading Practice: A Solo Tarot Reading, Storytelling & Journal Game


A Solo Tarot Reading, Storytelling & Journal Game

This game lets you practice reading tarot without needing real clients. Each round creates a fictional person with a life story, a question, hidden emotions, and enough detail to make your reading feel realistic.

Pretend you are the tarot reader. Your goal isn't to "guess the answer"—it's to tell a meaningful story based on the cards.

How This Tarot Practice Game Works

Welcome to your Fictional Tarot Reading Practice Journal!

This game is designed to help you build confidence, strengthen your intuition, and practice interpreting tarot cards in a fun, creative way—without reading for real clients.

For each practice session, create a fictional person by imagining their age, personality, life situation, and current challenge. Then complete the prompt:

"I'm here because I want clarity on [TOPIC] because right now I'm [CONTEXT]. I want to see what the cards have to say."

Choose or roll a die for a Topic and a Context from the lists provided (or mix and match your own). Every combination creates a unique tarot reading scenario.

For example:

"I'm here because I want clarity on my friendships because right now I'm feeling left out at school. I want to see what the cards have to say."

Shuffle your tarot deck and perform a reading using your favorite spread. As you interpret the cards, imagine you're speaking directly to your fictional client. Focus on the story the cards tell, the emotions they reveal, and the guidance they offer rather than trying to predict the future.

When you're finished, journal about the reading. Record the cards you pulled, the themes you noticed, the advice you gave, and any intuitive insights that came to you. You can even decide what happened next in your client's story.

Since there are hundreds of possible combinations of topics and contexts, every practice session becomes a brand-new reading. There are no right or wrong answers—this is a creative exercise designed to improve your storytelling, symbolism, confidence, and tarot interpretation skills while having fun.

Step 1: Create Your Client

Roll the dice, pick randomly, or simply choose.

Age Group

  1. 13–15 Young Teen
  2. 16–18 Older Teen
  3. 19–24 Young Adult
  4. 25–34 Adult
  5. 35–44 Adult
  6. 45–54 Midlife
  7. 55–64 Older Adult
  8. 65–74 Senior
  9. 75–85 Elder
  10. 86–95 Wise Elder

Name Ideas

Female

  1. Ava
  2. Lily
  3. Emma
  4. Zoe
  5. Sophia
  6. Chloe
  7. Maya
  8. Hannah
  9. Olivia
  10. Grace
  11. Jasmine
  12. Natalie
  13. Autumn
  14. Ruby
  15. Scarlett
  16. Violet
  17. Willow
  18. Eleanor
  19. June
  20. Hazel

Male

  1. Ethan
  2. Liam
  3. Noah
  4. Caleb
  5. Mason
  6. Elijah
  7. Owen
  8. Lucas
  9. Daniel
  10. Henry
  11. Oliver
  12. Jack
  13. Wyatt
  14. Benjamin
  15. Levi
  16. Theo
  17. Isaac
  18. Finn
  19. Logan
  20. Miles

Gender Neutral

  1. Riley
  2. Quinn
  3. Parker
  4. Rowan
  5. Avery
  6. Sage
  7. River
  8. Jordan
  9. Dakota
  10. Morgan

Occupation / School

Teen

  1. Freshman
  2. Cheerleader
  3. Football player
  4. Band student
  5. Artist
  6. Gamer
  7. Honors student
  8. Theater kid
  9. Part-time cashier
  10. Babysitter

Adult

  1. Nurse
  2. Teacher
  3. Graphic designer
  4. Stay-at-home parent
  5. Entrepreneur
  6. Police officer
  7. Accountant
  8. Tattoo artist
  9. Hair stylist
  10. Mechanic
  11. Realtor
  12. Military
  13. Librarian

Elder

  1. Retired teacher
  2. Grandparent
  3. Veteran
  4. Retired nurse
  5. Artist
  6. Gardener
  7. Church volunteer
  8. Small business owner
  9. Widow
  10. Author

Personality

Choose 2–4 or roll a die.

  1. Optimistic
  2. Quiet
  3. Funny
  4. Sarcastic
  5. Anxious
  6. Confident
  7. Protective
  8. Sensitive
  9. Stubborn
  10. Creative
  11. Spiritual
  12. Logical
  13. Overworked
  14. Lonely
  15. Hopeful
  16. Jealous
  17. Adventurous
  18. Shy
  19. Perfectionist
  20. Free-spirited
  21. Empathetic
  22. Competitive
  23. People Pleaser
  24. Independent
  25. Impulsive

Step 2: The Reading Location

Choose one or roll a die.

  1. Coffee shop
  2. Small metaphysical store
  3. Busy psychic fair
  4. Online Zoom reading
  5. Quiet cabin
  6. Victorian home
  7. Library
  8. Beach boardwalk
  9. Mountain retreat
  10. Tiny apartment
  11. Festival booth
  12. Bookstore
  13. Tea house
  14. Botanical garden
  15. Old farmhouse
  16. Luxury spa
  17. Hotel lobby
  18. Cruise ship
  19. College campus
  20. Community center
  21. Park picnic table

Step 3: Why Are They Here?

Finish this sentence.

 Client Says

"I am here because I want clarity about [TOPIC]. Right now, the situation is [CONTEXT] . I want to see what the cards have to say."

Below are dozens of possibilities to fill in those blanks. 

Roll the dice, pick randomly, or simply choose.

TEENS

Friendships

  1. My best friend suddenly stopped talking to me.
  2. I don't know who I can trust anymore.
  3. I feel left out.
  4. My friend group is changing.
  5. I accidentally hurt someone's feelings.

School

  1. I'm afraid I'll fail.
  2. I don't know what college to choose.
  3. I feel burned out.
  4. I hate going to school.
  5. I want to quit the band.
  6. Should I join sports?

Family

  1. My parents are divorcing.
  2. I don't get along with my step-parent.
  3. My older sibling moved away.
  4. My family expects too much.
  5. We moved to a new town.

Love

  1. My crush likes someone else.
  2. Should I ask them out?
  3. My first breakup.
  4. They ghosted me.
  5. I think I'm falling in love.

Identity

  1. I don't know who I am anymore.
  2. Everyone expects something different from me.
  3. I want to express myself.
  4. I'm afraid of disappointing everyone.
  5. I feel invisible.

Teens (Ages 13–19)

50 Topics

  1. My friendships
  2. My best friend
  3. A new crush
  4. My first relationship
  5. A recent breakup
  6. My self-confidence
  7. My future
  8. Choosing a college
  9. My grades
  10. School stress
  11. My family life
  12. My relationship with my parents
  13. My relationship with my siblings
  14. Feeling like I belong
  15. Social media
  16. My mental well-being
  17. My anxiety
  18. Finding my purpose
  19. My creative talents
  20. My hobbies
  21. My sports team
  22. My future career
  23. Learning to trust people
  24. Forgiving someone
  25. Being myself
  26. My identity
  27. Peer pressure
  28. My confidence around others
  29. My dreams
  30. Making new friends
  31. Letting go of the past
  32. A family move
  33. Standing up for myself
  34. My spiritual journey
  35. My intuition
  36. My fears
  37. My personal growth
  38. Balancing school and life
  39. A difficult decision
  40. A secret I'm keeping
  41. My reputation
  42. My independence
  43. My communication skills
  44. My online friendships
  45. My future happiness
  46. My goals
  47. Healing after disappointment
  48. Becoming an adult
  49. Learning responsibility
  50. The next chapter of my life

50 Contexts

  1. Feeling left out at school.
  2. Unsure if my friends truly like me.
  3. Nervous about asking someone out.
  4. Wondering if my relationship is healthy.
  5. Heartbroken after a breakup.
  6. Comparing myself to everyone else.
  7. Feeling overwhelmed by homework.
  8. Afraid I'll disappoint my parents.
  9. Unsure what I want after graduation.
  10. Feeling lost about my future.
  11. Constantly arguing with my family.
  12. Struggling to fit in.
  13. Feeling invisible.
  14. Trying to rebuild my confidence.
  15. Worrying about what others think.
  16. Feeling anxious almost every day.
  17. Afraid of making the wrong decision.
  18. Wondering where I belong.
  19. Losing motivation.
  20. Feeling creatively blocked.
  21. Feeling pressure to be perfect.
  22. Unsure who I can trust.
  23. Trying to forgive someone.
  24. Feeling misunderstood.
  25. Afraid of failure.
  26. Feeling lonely even around people.
  27. Starting over at a new school.
  28. Keeping a big secret.
  29. Missing someone who moved away.
  30. Trying to become more independent.
  31. Feeling like I'm growing apart from my friends.
  32. Wanting to believe in myself.
  33. Looking for direction.
  34. Feeling emotionally exhausted.
  35. Wondering why everything feels so confusing.
  36. Trying to discover who I really am.
  37. Feeling jealous of others.
  38. Wishing I had more confidence.
  39. Feeling pressured to grow up.
  40. Hoping things will get better.
  41. Unsure if I'm making the right choices.
  42. Feeling stuck.
  43. Trying to heal from disappointment.
  44. Looking for hope.
  45. Wondering if life will change soon.
  46. Feeling disconnected from everyone.
  47. Trying to overcome fear.
  48. Learning to trust my intuition.
  49. Wondering what lesson I'm meant to learn.
  50. Ready for a fresh start. 

ADULTS

Love

  1. Should I get married?
  2. Should I leave this relationship?
  3. Are we growing apart?
  4. Is my ex coming back?
  5. Why do I keep attracting unavailable partners?

Career

  1. Do I quit my job?
  2. Should I start a business?
  3. Is this promotion worth it?
  4. I feel trapped.
  5. I'm experiencing burnout.

Family

  1. Should we have children?
  2. My teenager won't talk to me.
  3. My parents need care.
  4. My sibling betrayed me.
  5. We're fighting over inheritance.

Money

  1. Should I buy a house?
  2. Can I afford to change careers?
  3. I have too much debt.
  4. Should I invest?
  5. Why can't I get ahead?

Personal Growth

  1. I lost myself.
  2. I don't know what makes me happy.
  3. I'm afraid to start over.
  4. I need purpose.
  5. Why do I sabotage myself?

Adults (Ages 20–64)

50 Topics

  1. My marriage
  2. My relationship
  3. Dating again
  4. Starting a family
  5. My children
  6. My parents
  7. My career
  8. Changing careers
  9. Starting a business
  10. My finances
  11. Buying a home
  12. Selling my home
  13. Relocating
  14. Work-life balance
  15. Burnout
  16. My health habits
  17. My confidence
  18. My purpose
  19. My spiritual path
  20. Healing from divorce
  21. Healing after loss
  22. Trust
  23. Friendships
  24. Setting boundaries
  25. My intuition
  26. My creativity
  27. Midlife changes
  28. Parenthood
  29. My future
  30. Retirement planning
  31. Debt
  32. Investing in myself
  33. Forgiveness
  34. Letting go
  35. Finding happiness
  36. My mental wellness
  37. Personal growth
  38. Leadership
  39. A difficult decision
  40. My home life
  41. Family conflict
  42. Self-worth
  43. My passions
  44. My dreams
  45. A fresh beginning
  46. Healing old wounds
  47. Life balance
  48. My next chapter
  49. My legacy
  50. Becoming my authentic self

50 Contexts

  1. Feeling burned out at work.
  2. Thinking about quitting my job.
  3. Wondering if my relationship can survive.
  4. Recovering from divorce.
  5. Feeling disconnected from my partner.
  6. Trying to rebuild my life.
  7. Unsure if I should move.
  8. Feeling financially overwhelmed.
  9. Wondering if I should start my own business.
  10. Feeling trapped in my routine.
  11. Looking for purpose.
  12. Balancing family and work.
  13. Feeling emotionally exhausted.
  14. Struggling with self-doubt.
  15. Afraid of starting over.
  16. Feeling lonely.
  17. Caring for aging parents.
  18. Raising young children.
  19. Wondering if I'm on the right path.
  20. Feeling like life has become stagnant.
  21. Looking for healing.
  22. Trying to forgive myself.
  23. Learning to set boundaries.
  24. Feeling stuck in fear.
  25. Wondering what my soul needs.
  26. Looking for more joy.
  27. Feeling pulled in too many directions.
  28. Unsure what comes next.
  29. Missing the person I used to be.
  30. Feeling disconnected from my intuition.
  31. Questioning my purpose.
  32. Facing a major life transition.
  33. Trying to trust the process.
  34. Hoping for a breakthrough.
  35. Feeling overwhelmed by responsibilities.
  36. Wondering if I should take a risk.
  37. Trying to heal emotionally.
  38. Looking for stability.
  39. Learning to love myself.
  40. Feeling uncertain about the future.
  41. Trying to let go of control.
  42. Wondering if change is coming.
  43. Feeling restless.
  44. Ready for a new beginning.
  45. Looking for clarity.
  46. Feeling like something is missing.
  47. Trying to find balance.
  48. Hoping to reconnect with myself.
  49. Seeking peace.
  50. Ready to embrace whatever comes next. 

ELDERS

Reflection

  1. Did I make the right choices?
  2. How do I forgive myself?
  3. What legacy am I leaving?
  4. Is it too late to begin again?
  5. I feel forgotten.

Family

  1. My children rarely visit.
  2. I worry about my grandchildren.
  3. My spouse recently passed.
  4. Should I move closer to family?
  5. I feel lonely.

Health

  1. I'm adjusting to retirement.
  2. I'm afraid of getting older.
  3. I want peace.
  4. I'm learning to slow down.
  5. I'm grieving my independence.

Spiritual

  1. Why am I drawn to tarot now?
  2. Am I entering a new spiritual chapter?
  3. What lesson remains?
  4. How do I trust the universe?
  5. How do I make peace with uncertainty?

Elders (Ages 65+)

50 Topics

  1. Retirement
  2. My legacy
  3. My family
  4. My grandchildren
  5. My health journey
  6. Aging gracefully
  7. My marriage
  8. Life after losing a spouse
  9. Friendship
  10. Purpose in retirement
  11. Volunteering
  12. Spiritual growth
  13. Faith
  14. My memories
  15. Healing old regrets
  16. Forgiveness
  17. My children
  18. Downsizing my home
  19. Moving into a new community
  20. Leaving a legacy
  21. Writing my life story
  22. My wisdom
  23. My bucket list
  24. My happiness
  25. My independence
  26. Letting go of fear
  27. My finances
  28. Traveling
  29. Family traditions
  30. Finding peace
  31. My intuition
  32. My creativity
  33. Learning something new
  34. My daily purpose
  35. Coping with loneliness
  36. Building new friendships
  37. My spiritual awakening
  38. Finding joy
  39. My future
  40. My dreams
  41. My personal growth
  42. My community
  43. Healing family relationships
  44. Self-acceptance
  45. Gratitude
  46. My next adventure
  47. My inner peace
  48. Sharing my knowledge
  49. Living fully
  50. The final chapters of my story

50 Contexts

  1. Adjusting to retirement.
  2. Wondering what my next purpose is.
  3. Missing my spouse.
  4. Feeling lonely.
  5. Spending more time alone.
  6. Hoping to reconnect with family.
  7. Looking back on my life.
  8. Wondering if I made the right choices.
  9. Trying to forgive old hurts.
  10. Wanting to leave something meaningful behind.
  11. Thinking about moving.
  12. Downsizing my home.
  13. Looking for new friendships.
  14. Learning to enjoy slower days.
  15. Feeling grateful but uncertain.
  16. Wondering what chapter comes next.
  17. Hoping to strengthen family bonds.
  18. Rediscovering old hobbies.
  19. Seeking inner peace.
  20. Letting go of regrets.
  21. Healing after loss.
  22. Looking for hope.
  23. Wondering what wisdom I still have to learn.
  24. Feeling disconnected from others.
  25. Wanting to make the most of each day.
  26. Learning to accept change.
  27. Looking for spiritual guidance.
  28. Feeling ready for a new adventure.
  29. Wondering how to give back.
  30. Hoping to inspire younger generations.
  31. Reflecting on my life's journey.
  32. Feeling uncertain about the future.
  33. Looking for balance.
  34. Trying to embrace aging.
  35. Finding beauty in simple moments.
  36. Seeking clarity.
  37. Learning to trust life.
  38. Wondering what my soul still wants to experience.
  39. Looking for renewed joy.
  40. Wanting to reconnect with myself.
  41. Feeling emotionally stronger than ever.
  42. Learning to release fear.
  43. Looking for deeper meaning.
  44. Appreciating each new day.
  45. Trusting life's timing.
  46. Hoping to heal family wounds.
  47. Looking for one more fresh start.
  48. Finding comfort in my memories.
  49. Feeling called to share my wisdom.
  50. Embracing this season of my life.

Wild Card Reading Prompts

  1. I keep having the same dream.
  2. I found a mysterious letter.
  3. I inherited something unusual.
  4. I met someone who changed everything.
  5. I feel stuck in a repeating cycle.
  6. A huge opportunity appeared overnight.
  7. I won a large amount of money.
  8. I lost everything.
  9. I have to make a life-changing decision by tomorrow.
  10. Someone from my past returned.
  11. I discovered a family secret.
  12. I want to move across the country.
  13. I feel like my intuition is trying to tell me something.
  14. I keep seeing repeating numbers.
  15. I don't know whether to follow logic or my heart.

Optional

Only reveal this AFTER your reading.

Choose one.

  1. They recently lost their job.
  2. Their partner is cheating.
  3. They're secretly pregnant.
  4. They won the lottery.
  5. They're moving across the country.
  6. Their parent is ill.
  7. They're hiding debt.
  8. They're grieving.
  9. They're writing a novel.
  10. They're recovering from addiction.
  11. They're planning a surprise proposal.
  12. They're scared of failure.
  13. They're afraid to tell their family the truth.
  14. They're starting over after a divorce.
  15. They inherited unexpected money.
  16. They are considering adopting a child.
  17. They feel guilty about something from years ago.

 Story Twists

Halfway through the reading, reveal one twist:

  1. The client forgot to mention something important.
  2. Another person walks into the room.
  3. The reading suddenly shifts toward a different issue.
  4. The client begins crying.
  5. The cards keep repeating the same suit.
  6. Three Major Arcana appear in a row.
  7. A card literally jumps out.
  8. The client says, "That reminds me..."
  9. A family secret comes out.
  10. The reading becomes unexpectedly hopeful.
  11. The client realizes the question they asked isn't the real issue.
  12. A pet unexpectedly interrupts the session.
  13. A storm begins outside, changing the mood.
  14. The client pulls one final clarifier that changes the entire interpretation. 

Step 5: Emotional Energy

Choose one or roll a die. 

  1. Hope
  2. Fear
  3. Anger
  4. Confusion
  5. Relief
  6. Grief
  7. Excitement
  8. Anxiety
  9. Curiosity
  10. Jealousy
  11. Peace
  12. Loneliness
  13. Optimism
  14. Burnout
  15. Regret

Journal Page Template

Client Profile

  • Name:
  • Age:
  • Occupation:
  • Location of Reading:
  • Personality (3 adjectives):
  • Favorite Color:
  • Current Mood:
  • Hidden Fear:
  • Greatest Hope:

Client Says

"I am here because I want clarity about ____________________. Right now, the situation is ____________________. I want to see what the cards have to say."

Reading Details

  • Deck Used:
  • Spread:
  • Cards Drawn:
  • First Impressions:
  • Symbols That Stand Out:
  • Emotional Tone:
  • Advice from the Cards:
  • Possible Outcome:
  • Follow-Up Question:

Story Outcome

  • What changed after the reading?
  • What lesson did the client take with them?
  • If this were the first chapter of a novel, what happens next?

Bonus Challenge Modes

  • Speed Reader: Interpret a 3-card spread in under 5 minutes.
  • Past, Present, Future: Build a complete life story from only three cards.
  • Shadow Session: Read only challenging cards (Tower, Devil, Five of Cups, Ten of Swords, etc.) with compassion and constructive guidance.
  • Court Card Casting: Every client is represented by a Court Card, and you weave their personality around it before drawing the rest of the spread.
  • Genre Shift: Read for a detective, pirate, astronaut, fantasy queen, vampire, time traveler, or space explorer.
  • Reverse Roles: Imagine you're the client and journal how the reading would feel from their perspective.
  • One Card, One Story: Draw a single card and write a one-page story inspired by it before interpreting its message.

Optional Fun Additions

To make each reading feel even more immersive, randomly add one or two details:

  • Weather: thunderstorm, sunny afternoon, first snowfall, humid summer evening, foggy morning.
  • Moon phase: new moon, waxing crescent, full moon, waning gibbous.
  • Favorite object they bring: worn journal, lucky crystal, old photograph, coffee mug, necklace from a grandparent.
  • Zodiac sign: assign one and see if it colors your interpretation.
  • Occupation or role: student, nurse, mechanic, artist, teacher, retiree, firefighter, librarian, chef, entrepreneur, stay-at-home parent.
  • Current life season: beginning again, grieving, celebrating, healing, waiting, rebuilding, dreaming big.
  • Unexpected interruption: a text message arrives during the reading, a candle goes out, a rainstorm begins, or the client remembers an important detail halfway through.

With just a few random choices, you can create thousands of unique fictional clients and practice reading tarot from many different emotional, social, and life perspectives. This keeps your sessions fresh while strengthening your storytelling, intuition, and card interpretation skills.


FREE 66 PAGES OF PEOPLE AND PLACES TO PRINT & CUTE FOR YOUR JOURNAL. 


-COPYRIGHT 2026 DO NOT COPY- YOU MAY ONLY COPY TO PRINT OUT FOR PERSONAL USE.

Love our Blog & Freebies? We would love for you to come explore our Etsy Shop, Carbon and Copy Designs, for unique digital planners, printables, and digital stickers crafted to elevate your creative projects. Whether you’re seeking commercial or personal use Procreate stamps and graphics, we offer a diverse range of high-quality designs to inspire and enhance your artistic journey. Visit our shop today and discover tools that make planning and designing a breeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment